Remelluri Panoramic

The origin of the Farm Remelluri is lost in the mists of time. A necropolis in the center of the property indicates the existence of a village and in the tenth century.
Earl speaks of Alava "Erramel", founder of "Erramelluri" high medieval historical names.

In this place, surrounded by our oldest vineyards, carved into the rock is an ancient wine press, are probably one of the oldest wine remains of La Rioja. In the fourteenth century, Hieronymite monks settle in these lands, creating a monastic farm, which is dependent on Toloño sanctuary, situated on the summit of this mountain.

Farm crops, protected from wind and frost, enjoy an exceptional microclimate. In your environment, remnants of prehistoric populations, Romans, Visigoths, Moors and finally medieval speak of an agricultural activity since ancient times.

The monks left in the fifteenth century, the shrine is maintained by hermits who worship well into the nineteenth century. The farm and monastery are depending on the Real Divisa, communal entity to which belonged all the surrounding towns of Toloño. The Real Divisa was in charge of the agricultural land management on the farm, serving to the large mass of pilgrims that used to come from all over the world to pray at the shrine. .

The oldest account book kept in the City of Labastida, dated 1596. It was annually reviewed and until the last century, contribution used to be done in wine“cantaras”(local volume measure, equals to 16,13 litres) of Granja Nuestra Señora de Remelluri.

In 1837, the first civil war, the sanctuary is burned by the liberal troops after defeating the Carlist siege of Peñacerrada. In 1845, due to the law of confiscation, land, houses, and even the church of Santa Sabina were sold to the highest bidder.

A landowner acquires Labastida core, keeping the vineyard. This property, of approximately 20 hectares, arrives intact until 1967, and is then bought by Jaime Rodriguez Salis and Amaya Hernandorena.

Since then the Granja de Nuestra Señora de Remelluri regains their former lands, and currently has 154 hectares, 105 of which constitute a restored vineyard source of the wines of Remelluri.